Having your phone book contacts backed up can be very useful. If you need to add the details to a database or even if you somehow managed to delete everything, a backup can be a life saver. In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to you can export your iPhone Contacts to either an Excel or a CSV file.
The easiest way to export your iPhone contacts to an Excel or a CSV file is to use an app like Covve (free). All you need to do is download Covve from the App Store, sign-up and then click export in settings. Here is some guidance:
1. Download Covve on your iPhone
2. Open the Covve app and sign-up
3. Go to Profile>Settings>Export contacts and click Request export.
You will receive an email with your exported file after a few seconds, to use with Excel, keep a backup or import into another application. You can then repeat whenever you wish.
An alternative, yet more complex way is to export from iCloud and then convert the file to CSV. See how below.
First of all make sure all your iPhone contacts are already synced with iCloud. If you have not synced your contacts with the iCloud then please read this post on “How to Sync and Backup Your iPhone Contacts with iCloud.”
If you have already synced your iPhone contacts with Icloud the follow these steps:
1. On a computer or laptop, head to iCloud.com and sign into your account.
2. Select ‘contacts’.
3. Once you’ve signed in, go to ‘settings’. It’s the cog icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
4. Click on this icon and then go to ‘Select All’.
5. Then in settings again, select ‘Export vCard’. The vCard file should go to your downloads folder on your computer.
In your internet browser (Safari, Chrome, Explorer) go to http://labs.brotherli.ch/vcfconvert/
6. Now click Choose File button and select the vCard file you downloaded earlier. Then, choose the following options:
Format: choose CSV, choose Comma, and enable Add Header Line
Encoding: choose Unicode (UTF-8)
Filter: don’t change anything
Modifications: don’t change anything
7. Click convert. A .csv file will now be downloaded to your computer’s downloads folder for you to use with Excel or import into another application. Find out how to process contacts in csv format here.
And you’re done!
Your contacts will be organized by name and their information will be displayed in this file.